Dental sealants are great treatments that can save your teeth from the horrible tooth decay that threatens it each day. They are thin, natural-looking products that cover the entire surface of your tooth and block out any substance that can harm it.
Who should get sealants?
Usually, children are the ones who receive dental sealants. This is because their teeth are more prone to tooth decay because they don’t necessarily know how to properly care for their teeth. However, adults are more than welcome to take advantage of dental sealants. The only time they cannot is if they have molars that have tooth decay or dental fillings.
How are sealants applied?
Applying a dental sealant is simple and quick. It only requires one appointment at our office and it generally includes the following steps:
1. First, a thorough cleaning is done to each tooth that is receiving the sealant.
2. Once the teeth are cleaned and dry, cotton swabs are placed around them to keep them dry.
3. Then, an acidic solution is placed on the teeth to roughen their surfaces. This will help the sealants bond to the teeth.
4. Once again, you will have your teeth rinsed off and dried.
5. Finally, the sealants will be placed onto the teeth and will be hardened with a special light.
How long do sealants last?
Sealants generally last for two or three years. However, eating a lot of sticky foods can take the sealant out. If it does come out, your sealant will have to be replaced to avoid cavities around your tooth.
If you have any questions about dental sealants or if you would like to know more, please call our office today at 540-657-0867 and talk to our caring Rai Family Dentistry team. We also encourage you to schedule an appointment with Dr. Rai if you are interested in protecting your teeth with sealants. We look forward to helping you!