What is a crown?
A crown is a dental restoration, sometimes called a cap, that entirely covers the tooth. By encasing the whole tooth structure, the crown strengthens and protects the tooth. Dental crowns are custom-made from impressions of your teeth in order to match the natural shape and size of your teeth and to fit in comfortably with your smile. If you would like a natural-looking restoration, our dentist can provide you with a porcelain crown that is matched to your natural tooth color.
Do I need a crown?
Crowns are very versatile restorations and can be used for a number of purposes. Dr. Shivaprasanna Rai in Stafford, Virginia, may recommend a dental crown to:
- Cover a dental implant to replace a missing tooth
- Anchor a dental bridge
- Restore a significantly decayed or otherwise damaged tooth
- Support a tooth with a large dental filling
- Enhance a severely stained or darkened tooth
- Improve the aesthetics and functionality of an irregularly shaped tooth
- Strengthen a tooth that is cracked or weakened
- Protect a tooth following endodontic treatment (root canal therapy)
If you think a crown might be right for your smile, we welcome you to contact us today at Rai Family Dentistry. We are dedicated to improving your smile!