What is a crown?
A crown is a dental restoration, sometimes called a cap, that entirely covers the tooth. By encasing the whole tooth structure, the crown strengthens and protects the tooth. Dental crowns are custom made from impressions of your teeth in order to match the natural shape and size of your teeth and to fit in comfortably with your smile. If you would like a natural-looking restoration, our dentist can provide you with a porcelain crown that is matched to your natural tooth color.
Do I need a crown?
Crowns are very versatile restorations and can be used for a number of purposes. Dr. Shivaprasanna Rai in Stafford, Virginia, may recommend a dental crown to:
- Cover a dental implant to replace a missing tooth
- Anchor a dental bridge
- Restore a significantly decayed or otherwise damaged tooth
- Support a tooth with a large dental filling
- Enhance a severely stained or darkened tooth
- Improve the aesthetics and functionality of an irregularly shaped tooth
- Strengthen a tooth that is cracked or weakened
- Protect a tooth following endodontic treatment (root canal therapy)
If you think a crown might be right for your smile, we welcome you to contact us today at Rai Family Dentistry. We are dedicated to improving your smile!